Sunday, October 15, 2017

We all end up like our parents


I once knew a boy who carved his name on to every tree and person he ran into. And just like everyone said, it killed them all. I once knew a boy who made doors out of people and never stopped slamming. The doors got bruised and everyone said "that means he likes you". I once knew a boy who always wanted to hold hands. I once knew a boy who's father died in his arms. I once knew a boy who didn't borrow a single thing in his entire life. I once knew a boy who wanted money. I once knew a boy who loved to ride bikes. I once knew a boy who was lost. I once knew a boy who made me feel safe. I once knew a boy who would check for monsters under my bed.
I once knew a boy who thought he was smarter than me. I once knew a boy who wanted to fix the world, he wanted to be a builder and a healer and a teacher, and then he gave up. I once knew a boy who had to carry his own father to a hospital. I once knew a boy who always wanted to know what was on my mind but would never let me talk. I once knew a boy who wanted to get to know me.
I once knew a boy who bought expansive gifts that didn't mean anything. I once knew a boy who made homemade gifts that still didn't mean anything. I once knew a boy who broke my heart. I once knew a boy who wanted to get to know me, so we did all his favorite hobbies and he then insisted that they were mine. Hunting, really? I once knew a boy who thought every thing he said should be stitched in gold on the front of pillows. I once knew a boy who said he loved me. I once knew a boy who used his fists instead of words. I once knew a boy who cried every year around Christmas time. 
I once knew a boy who hated his father. I once knew a boy who regretted it.
It's funny how one boy can be so many things.

I knew I deserved better, I just didn't know how to make him better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

mountain mama

for a time in my life where I should have been listening to the happy john denver songs with my friends but ended up listening to the sad j...