Sunday, October 20, 2013

you're so vain you probably thought this poem was about you

This poem isn't going to make any sense to you
because this poem is for her
and I'm not even sure if this qualifies as a poem
but I am sure I needed to write it.

I know you.
You hate swearing because one time you tried
it and it didn't give you any relief or make you
feel less angry and you are jealous
of people who can sleep at night knowing
there is so much filth inside them.
I can see that look in your eyes and
 it reminds me of skid marks on a busy rode.
And I know sleeping sounds good and
being in a coma sounds a lot better
and I get that.
I get that you will never use calculus in your life
and I get that a boy has never loved you back
and that your forehead is freakin huge,
but there are somethings that you don't get.
You don't get that there are other people who love you and,
you don't understand that there is no such thing
as being content with your life
and that even Jesus wept sometimes.
You've never understood flowers
and how they open up every spring and
the truth is you probably never will but
that's okay because I get it.
I know you hate how you look while you drive but
you don't get that none of that matters because
you look so free when you are singing at the top of your lungs
and I know your voice isn't good
but who said it had to be?
You are "that woman"
people write poems about
that woman who thinks too much
and talks too much and cries too much
and even sometimes her mere existence is too much
and that's why you are scared.
Because you are beautiful like art,
but all the boys you know want somebody
who is beautiful like flowers.
Someone who is soft and light
and doesn't think too much and
cry too much and talk too much
but especially,
someone who doesn't exist too much


This poem isn't going to make any sense to you
because this poem is for me.


~sasha fierce~

6 comments:

  1. Sasha FIERCE you are so fierce I will never get over it.
    "Because you are beautiful like art,
    but all the boys you know want somebody
    who is beautiful like flowers."
    Let's exist too much together.
    You're beautiful like art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you understand me or DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?? you are more beautiful than art and this comment meant a lot to me

      Delete
  2. I can't even. This ENTIRE piece.
    Usually I hate writing that's like this (i.e.- "i'm writing to myself")
    but I didn't realize you were writing to yourself until the VERY end and the whole time I was thinking, "Wow, what an incredible friendship this is; she really sees her friend for who she is" and then BAM: it was YOU. Incredible. The gift of knowing yourself. ahhhh. Can you tell I'm in luv with this writing? That's why i don't even care if this comment is "cool" or "hipster" or not. I just needed you to know all of that. Thanks. Etc.

    "you don't understand that there is no such thing
    as being content with your life
    and that even Jesus wept sometimes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this is the same person who commented anonymously on my other post then I love you.
      If this is a different anonymous person then I love you.
      I love you.
      BUT, I wish you wouldn't comment anonymously because I want to read your blog!! But its kind of cool that you are anonymous, I mean, we all are, but you are extra anonymous I guess.. anyways what I am trying to say is thank you for commenting it, makes me happy!

      Delete
  3. Very nice :)
    "even Jesus wept sometimes"
    #ordinary
    i loved that line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know who you are so badly so I can run up to you and give you a big freaking hug and thank you for being such an amazing writer.
    I also re-read this post after reading the last line and it's as if all the words I previously just read entirely changed their meaning.

    ReplyDelete

mountain mama

for a time in my life where I should have been listening to the happy john denver songs with my friends but ended up listening to the sad j...