Sunday, December 8, 2013

throwback thursday




All I can really remember is Nelson saying "I'm sick of reading sad shit"
and I'm sick of writing sad sh-stuff..
And I think that we should remember the good things, like catching fire flies and playing on merry go rounds and that one boy who drew me a picture of a dinosaur in preschool
or did I draw one for him?
I don't remember.
I remember when my parents bought our first living room living room couch at a garage sale
I remember my first house with stairs
I remember asking for an Aaron Carter poster for my birthday 
and Christmas
I remember passing notes
I remember those Chose Your Own Adventure books
I remember dying every time..
I remember watching The Land Before Time (I was obsessed with dinosaurs ok)
I remember the second day of seminary because it was the first day I saw you
I remember you every time I see that building
I remember The Killers every time I see you
I remember playing ghost in the graveyard every night during the summer
I remember having a sandbox 
I remember the first goal I scored, and the second, and the last
I remember when I was 6 and I finally figured out how to blow a bubble with my gum
I remember crying




But I also think we should remember the bad stuff. And that we remember why we are the way we are, and why we aren't the way we aren't.
I think we should also remember that I hate that one girl because when I moved here in third grade none of the neighbors would be my friend because she told them all I wasn't Mormon because I wore tank-tops 
I remember the funerals
I remember the first time I ate lunch by myself
I remember when I got in trouble for cheating in 6th grade
I remember what my door looked like without a hole in it.
I remember learning about coping with anger in health class. How you are supposed to count to ten and breathe and leave the room and hold your breath and think happy thoughts and breathe.
But you can do a lot of praying and a lot of counting and a lot of screaming in pillows
but they never taught you how to get all that anger out of you
these are the things no one talks about
I remember moving every two years
I remember Utah being the first place without fire flies
I remember Utah being the first place with bees
I remember when my parents sold our first living room couch at a garage sale
I remember crying


I remember a lot of crying

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))sasha fierce((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you included both the happy and the sad memories because it's true they both play a huge roll in our childhood and who we've become.

    "none of the neighbors would be my friend because she told them all I wasn't Mormon because I wore tank tops." classic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listening to The Killers as I read this and well ... it just worked Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ghost in the Graveyard holds a special place in my heart.
    This post was stellar.

    Also, Moonrise Kingdom. I need someone to watch that with me sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I think we should also remember that I hate that one girl because when I moved here in third grade none of the neighbors would be my friend because she told them all I wasn't Mormon because I wore tank-tops "

    That makes me sad.

    Amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes me really sad too^
    I feel your pain.
    The girls in my neighborhood won't be friends with my little sister cause she doesn't go to church. It breaks my heart.
    When I saw the Moonrise Kingdom picture I knew I had to read this and i'm so glad I did cause I am diggin this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH did I not already tell you I LOVE THIS POST. I'm just so grateful you wrote it like this and just, it was perfect. The good and the hard and the bad. Love.

    ReplyDelete

mountain mama

for a time in my life where I should have been listening to the happy john denver songs with my friends but ended up listening to the sad j...