Saturday, February 15, 2014

dedicated to cute boys you see in the hall one time and then never again


There are 7 billion people on this planet,
and statistically you will only meet about 10 thousand of them in your life time

they say you should start a poem with some sort of fact or truth.

they don't actually say that

I don't even know who they are

But I know who we are.

We are Wednesday afternoons.
Unsure of everything
Do I have any assignments due tomorrow?
I don't know. (probably)
Should I take a really long nap today?
I don't know (yes)
Are you guys a thing?
I don't know. (I don't know)

We are every writers nightmare
because words don't define us
and neither do commas or periods
or apostrophes or parentheses.
I don't know what defines us
I don't know.

I don't know the way you like your eggs in the morning
and I don't know what radio stations you listen to
and I don't know what you'd grab if your house was on fire
And I don't know how I feel about you.
All I know is every time I see you I hold my breath
I don't know what that's supposed to mean but it's just what I do
And whenever the teacher makes a joke I look over to see if you are laughing too and you usually are and
I like that
But sometimes your not because it's 11:45 and class is in session and you're asleep
and I like that too.

There are three things about the universe that you should know.
There are things we all know,
like how to tie our shoes and how to breathe (most of the time)
There are things we don't know
like how many licks it would take to get to the center of a tootsie pop
and there are those things we don't know that we don't know.
like a couple months ago you didn't even exist in my universe
and I didn't know that there there was something so wonderful that I was missing out on.
I didn't know.
I didn't know
I didn't know

But now I do,
and I'm not sure if it's any better



8 comments:

  1. I especially liked the part about how you don't know what radio stations they listen to and how they like their eggs. Mmmm yeah very nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't even know who 'they' are"

    After I read that, I had to stop and really think about the implications of that phrase. Scarily true. Your writing is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl you are fiiieercee. much love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. You're amazing. I really can't get over the way that you write. I had to leave the poetry slam early.. Who are you??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Benji. I can't even explain how much I love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are Wednesday afternoons.
    Unsure of everything
    Do I have any assignments due tomorrow?
    I don't know. (probably)
    Should I take a really long nap today?
    I don't know (yes)
    Are you guys a thing?
    I don't know. (I don't know)


    I loved every word of this paragraph. And the rest of the post. And your blog

    ReplyDelete

mountain mama

for a time in my life where I should have been listening to the happy john denver songs with my friends but ended up listening to the sad j...