Sunday, September 8, 2013

coming from a person who skipped kindergarten:

My sister is turning twelve soon, but all she really wants is to be eighteen. I just want to shake her and tell her it's not all its cracked up to be. That the perks of driving don't outweigh the shame of never getting asked to a dance. That you'll get fat and you'll question yourself. You won't look up to Mom and Dad anymore, in fact you'll hold grudges against them and feel like you're trapped in your own home sometimes. You aren't going to always feel like a winner. Sometimes your best won't be good enough. Sometimes you won't be good enough. Your crush probably won't like you back, and if he do it's only for a matter of time. And for some reason every adult thinks the only thing you want to talk about is college when in reality if you get asked what you're majoring in one more time you might just drop out of high school.

My sister is turning twelve soon, but all she really wants to be is eighteen. And I want to shake her and tell her that it is all its cracked up to be. But that so is every other year of your life. I want to tell her that people spend too much of their lives waiting to live it and that you can start living now and you don't need a car or a boyfriend or your parents permission to do that. I want to tell her not to let the picturesque image of the future distract her from the present. I want to tell her to play with crayons if she wants to, or do her math homework* or read, or run around the yard naked or, do anything. As long as she is living it doesn't matter what age you are. I want to tell her to try and make everyday worth remembering.

Coming from a person who skipped kindergarten, I don't "want my crayons back" I would just like a chance to finally use them. I don't really care that I "missed out" on that time of my life because it's never too late to start being creative. I never got to experience nap time at school either, which is something I am actually okay with because it turns out we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping anyways.
All of our lives waiting and a third of it sleeping, what a waste.

 photo tumblr_mi25wvuvLs1rqoq08o1_500_zps09ee0f0b.gif

"I hope you live a life you're proud of, and if you find you are not. I hope you have the strength to start all over again" - F. Scott Fitzgerald
I have decided to start my life over, with crayons this time.

 ~sasha fierce~ 

*jk I wouldn't tell her to do that because 6th grade math homework is stupid**
**all math homework is stupid.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. you are a great writer. I love your sentence that you put at the end. It is really inspiring! and I would love to see more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH THIS COMMENT MEANS TO ME. Especially because you commented so soon after I posted!! I felt this entry was kind of all over the place but I am glad it made you feel something :)

      Delete
  2. I really like this and I really agree. Tell it, Sasha Fierce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real talk. This was like hearing the truth after being lied to for years. This was so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also never went to kindergarten. This makes us good pals, k?
    Plus, you're so real. I've always wanted to meet a girl like that.

    "I want to tell her that people spend too much of their lives waiting to live it and that you can start living now.."

    You've made me definitely wanna come back. One post, and I'm hooked.
    Love, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete

mountain mama

for a time in my life where I should have been listening to the happy john denver songs with my friends but ended up listening to the sad j...