Saturday, September 14, 2013

why is love like math class

Because I never know what's going on.
I don't do my homework and maybe that's why I don't get the grade I want
Maybe that's why I don't get the love I want.

Maybe that's why at the age of six I was already married,
Because I had passed all my tests and had learned
that 1 and 1 equals 2

But then I got older 
and I learned all about long division
and that no matter how many ways we tried
2 divided by 1 was always going to equal 1 
and sometimes 1 gets lonely and tries adding itself to other numbers
and I learned that a -1 plus a -1 equals a -2
and I learned that it's possible to be lower than zero

At the beginning of high school I learned a lot about graphing
and I collected all of our lov- DATA and charted it out
and it formed a cute lopsided heart on my graph paper
I later learned that lines aren't allowed to loop and cross 
over each other in math class and
I learned that our love wasn't functional

I had to repeat a year of math class because I wasn't learning
"at the same pace" as everyone else
and I had to relearn that not everybody is a 1
Sometimes a 1 is actually a 1x and
you can't add a 1 and a 1x because it just "isn't the same"

There are a lot of things about math that I don't understand
I don't understand how 1 plus 1 can equal 2
but then if a prettier 1 comes along, 2 will divide itself in half
faster than you can say "who is she?"

I think love is like math class, because I've always hated division.

"Math may not teach me how to add love or subtract hate, but it gives me every reason to hope that every problem has a solution." -idk

As Beyonce says; I don't know much about Algerbra, but I know, that one plus one equals two.

~sasha fierce~

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I have told you before you are amazing! I want t read more... keep it up! I love your writing! You are one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this, it was so simple.
    My favorite was "I don't understand how 1 plus 1 can equal 2
    but then if a prettier 1 comes along, 2 will divide itself in half
    faster than you can say "who is she?"'"

    ReplyDelete

mountain mama

for a time in my life where I should have been listening to the happy john denver songs with my friends but ended up listening to the sad j...